Please enable JavaScript
Email Marketing Services by Benchmark
TrainerTiff: Recipe: Black & Chili Bean Nachos >

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Recipe: Black & Chili Bean Nachos

Nachos with all the fixings on blue corn tortilla chips.
Finally, nachos you can enjoy without having to hold your head down in shame afterwards. One of my favorite treat dishes to eat is nachos -- Hubby's too. But go to any restaurant and order them and they are beyond unhealthy. In fact, I only make them at home and would never consider ordering them out.

I've taken the classic nacho recipe and put my own spin on it. The result is a reduced guilt treat that is way better than anything you'll find dining out.

I like using blue corn tortilla chips and I make a homemade salsa topping & guacamole. The main difference is that I don't use meat. Instead, I use a homemade black and chili bean spread (my version of refried beans). And don't you worry, it's good. Really good. This recipe is Hubby approved -- and that's saying something.


Normally, I say avoid anything that comes in a crinkly package and to be cautious of anything labeled natural, but I was really happy to find these by Tostitos. They're made with organic blue corn which is a big bonus since most corn products on store shelves are made with genetically modified corn. And these chips don't have preservatives or artificial junk in them. Take a look at the ingredients.


Nice, right?

Though this recipe is better than most nacho dishes, it's still a treat. I wouldn't recommend having this all of the time, but on occasion is fine. There are a bunch of ingredients, but it's actually really quick and easy to make. Check it out.

Ingredients:
1 bag of organic blue corn tortilla chips
1/2 can chili beans, drained
1/2 can black beans, drained
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
garlic powder
1/2 small onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 avocado
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or lemon if that's all you have, I frequently do)
jar of jalapeno slices
1 can sliced black olives
shredded cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
light sour cream (optional)

Directions:
To make bean spread: place chili beans, black beans, olive oil and a couple shakes of garlic powder into a food processor. Pulse until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.

To make salsa topping:  in a small bowl combine the tomato, onion, cilantro and 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Set aside.

To make guacamole: scoop out the avocado and mash. Add the remaining lime juice (1 tablespoon). Set aside.

To assemble: No measuring here, just use as much as you like of everything. On large plate, add a couple handfuls of tortilla chips. Spoon a couple spoonfuls of the bean spread over the tortilla chips. Sprinkle desired amount of cheese over beans. Microwave for about 45 seconds until beans are hot and cheese is melted. Add jalapeno peppers, black olives, salsa, guacamole and sour cream.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Yum Yucky said...

aha! This is perfect. I've always been a traditional nachos girl, but had to steer my jaws away because its so wonderfully sinister. The ingredients in your recipe are on point! I think the husband would like it, too.

TrainerTiff said...

Thanks! Yeah, my hubby actually requests that I make these. It's nice putting new spins on old classics. : )