Please enable JavaScript
Email Marketing Services by Benchmark
TrainerTiff: AzUrbanAthlon: Jumping Over Cable Spools >

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

AzUrbanAthlon: Jumping Over Cable Spools


When the main page of the AzUrbanAthlon website asked me "do you enjoy your fitness and your fun in the same cocktail?" I replied to myself,  "Yes. Why, yes, I do."


The AzUrbanAthlon is a 3-mile race with 10 obstacles from hurdles, to cargo nets, to wall climbs and a bunch more. One obstacle has about 100 tires stacked on top of each other that you have to climb over. Another obstacle has you literally climbing over huge containers. Another has a bunch of cable spools that you can either crawl over, under or use whatever method you can to get around them. Awesome!


Course
The AzUrbanAthlon has my name written all over it. For years, I've watched American Gladiators (back in the '90s and the recent remake with Leila Ali and Hulk Hogan), then more recently, Wipeout and Ninja Warrior. Those shows have always stoked the competitive fire inside me. Even if I only really want to compete against myself. You know, just to see how I'd do. 

I can even remember back to the days of Nickelodeon's Double Dare. Even the thought of going through an obstacle course where at some point I'd be slimmed with some sort of green goo was right up my alley. Though, it's always been in the back of my mind that it would be cool to do something like this, I've never done it. Nope. Never.

So when Hubby was talking to me about the Athlon one day, naturally, I was interested. After a little chatting, we decided that we would get a group together and do it. Why not, right? It'll be fun.

The event benefits the Arizona chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation and will be held November 5, 2011, at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick which happens to be the spring training home of the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Colorado Rockies. Sweet!

Let the training begin. I have just under six weeks to get ready. Since I don't like to run and because of that, have never done so much as a 5k, this will be interesting. But I'm game. Oh, I'm so game. I like a challenge here and there. Plus, I already know Hubby is going to start all kinds of trash talking. Bring it. It's going down!

No comments: