Please enable JavaScript
Email Marketing Services by Benchmark
TrainerTiff: Easy Gluten Free Pasta Marinara >

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Easy Gluten Free Pasta Marinara

Photobucket
I've been on a little bit of a cooking kick. I have taken some classic recipes that I like and have put my own vegetarian, vegan or gluten free spin on them. I'm pretty basic when it comes to food. I'm not really big on exotic flavors or creating dishes from odd pairings (I'll leave that stuff to the real cooks). I like foods that suit most palates.

It's necessary to add new meals into the mix because eating the same ol' stuff can get pretty boring. Even for me. Someone who has been known to eat the same oatmeal breakfast for years without pause.

This recipe is really easy and quick to make. It's gluten free and if you omit the cheese, it's vegan. Check it out.

Ingredients:
16 oz gluten free pasta
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use Himalayan salt)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 oz shredded monterey jack cheese (use mozzarella to make it more traditional, I just like monterey jack cheese)
fresh parsley for garnish

Directions:

To make marinara:
Side note: this recipe for the marinara I got from the Weight Watchers beef baked ziti recipe. It is by far the best marinara sauce I've come across. And it's good for any dish requiring a tomato sauce. I use it in my lasagna and spaghetti as well.

In a medium saucepan, heat oil on medium heat, add garlic and lightly saute. Add tomatoes, thyme, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper and stir together. Let it sit and simmer while preparing pasta. (I like to let the sauce sit for as long as possible. Sometimes I'll even make it a day in advance so all the flavors can come out. But it's ready to use immediately after you let it simmer while the pasta cooks.)
Photobucket
Cook pasta according to package directions. I like DeBoles multi-grain penne. It is made from rice, quinoa and anaramnth (the last two being complete protein sources). Drain and rinse.
Photobucket
To assemble. Add 1/4 pasta to a bowl, spoon marinara sauce over pasta, add cheese and top with parsley if you choose.
Photobucket
Enjoy!

No comments: