Please enable JavaScript
Email Marketing Services by Benchmark
TrainerTiff: Back in the Gym After Giving Birth >

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back in the Gym After Giving Birth

I can’t believe it’s been eight months since I've been to the gym.

After giving birth to twins seven weeks ago, I’m ready to get back in shape -- 30 pounds of baby weight has got to go!

It’s been quite an adjustment to go from working out regularly to not at all, especially because I didn't have a choice. I know some pregnant women are able to exercise all throughout their pregnancies, but I was not one of them.

I kept it going during my first trimester. Well, I tried to anyway. But I just couldn’t do it. Walking for 30 minutes left me as exhausted as if I’d done a high-intensity boot camp. The last straw was the day I did a little 15-minute strength training circuit with a pair of 5-pound dumbbells and passed out on the bed for over an hour.

Doctors, baby books and well-intentioned family members tell you to listen to your body during pregnancy -- they also throw in the expression “especially with twins” after everything -- and mine was talking loud and clear. It was saying, “Sit down.”

After only three months in, I decided to put away my Nikes and stretch pants until a later date.

Well, that later date has arrived. My doctor has given me clearance to start working out again. And I'm fired up and ready to get back my pre-pregnancy body!

It’s not going to happen overnight. My first workout was nothing more than walking on the treadmill. But it’s coming. Stay tuned for my progress reports.

1 comment:

Leslie D. said...

You can do it Tiffany! Hey at least you tried to work out. So many women just let themselves go during their pregnancies and never try to get it back. I'm really glad you're still keeping yourself as a top priority!